Welcome to the SDSS tutorials. If you are unsure about what type of SDSS data or which survey is best for your science, see the first section with links to the various SDSS data and surveys.
The sections following provide tutorials for these different data types and surveys.
If you have any problems accessing or using SDSS data products, please consult the DR17 Help pages.
Which SDSS data should I use?
The Sloan Digital Sky Survey is currently observing in its fourth phase (SDSS-IV). SDSS-IV, like previous phases, is organized into component surveys, each of which has its own unique science goals and techniques for observing and data processing. Because SDSS data releases are cumulative, data from all prior component surveys are available as part of DR17.
The tables below describe each component survey whose data are included in DR17. Use them to decide which dataset will best meet your needs. Once you know which dataset(s) to use, see the survey-specific tutorials in the next sections.
General information about how use SDSS data access tools to access any dataset is available in the DR17 Data Access section.
We hope that using these pages helps you find the data you need to do your amazing science!
|Survey name||Description||Survey documentation||DR17 data description|
|APOGEE-2||Infrared spectra of Milky Way stars||APOGEE-2 survey||Infrared spectra|
|eBOSS||Optical spectra of galaxies, quasars, and Lyman-alpha forest||eBOSS survey||Optical spectra|
|MaNGA||Integral field unit (IFU) spectra of nearby galaxies||MaNGA survey||MaNGA IFU spectra|
|MaStar||Library of stellar spectra observed by MaNGA||MaNGA stellar library description||MaStar data|
|Survey name||Description||Survey documentation||DR16 data description|
|APOGEE-1||Infrared spectra of Milky Way stars from SDSS-III||APOGEE-1 survey||Infrared spectra (included with APOGEE-2)|
|BOSS||Optical spectra of extragalactic objects from SDSS-III||BOSS survey description||Optical spectra (included with eBOSS)|
|Imaging||Sky images from the SDSS camera (SDSS-I/-II/-III)||SDSS Legacy survey imaging||Imaging data|
|MARVELS||Interferometric spectroscopy search for extrasolar planets||MARVELS survey||MARVELS interferometry data|
|SEGUE||Optical spectra of Milky Way stars||SEGUE survey (SDSS-III) or
SEGUE survey (SDSS-II)
|Optical spectra of stars (SEGUE)|
|Survey name||Description||Survey documentation||Data description from SDSS DR7|
|Legacy Survey||Optical spectra of all types of astronomical objects from SDSS-I/-II||Legacy survey||SDSS DR7 Legacy Survey data|
|Supernova Survey||Multi-epoch imaging of supernova candidates||Supernova survey description||Supernova survey data access|
Survey specific tutorials: SDSS-IV
For the current SDSS-IV surveys, here are links to each survey's tutorials and/or examples.
- eBOSS tutorials: The data format in eBOSS is similar to that of BOSS, so we also refer the user to the BOSS tutorials below.
- APOGEE examples: examples of how to get data from APOGEE-2 in various formats for science analysis
- MaNGA IFU spectra tutorials: place with general MaNGA tutorials, how to download and find data, and some examples for simple data analysis
- MaNGA DAP tutorials: tutorials for using the MaNGA Data Analysis Products in IDL, python, and Marvin
- Marvin tutorials; Marvin, a data access and visualization tool for MaNGA, has both a web portal and python package for easy data analysis.
- MaStar tutorials: IDL and python examples for how to use mastarall file and plotting a spectrum from the MaNGA stellar library
Survey specific tutorials: SDSS-III
SDSS-III was the previous phase of SDSS. SDSS-III had multiple surveys, including BOSS, SEGUE, APOGEE, and MARVELS. Below are some tutorials and examples for how to access and/or use BOSS, SEGUE, APOGEE, and MARVELS data.
Here are some tutorials for SEGUE data.
- SEGUE Overview for Beginners
- Extracting SEGUE Data
- Getting SEGUE file data
- SEGUE CAS Data Tables
- Useful SQL Functions for SEGUE
- Combining Information from Different Tables (Joining)
- Ensuring Data Quality
- Sample SEGUE Queries:
Examples on how to access APOGEE data are available here.
SDSS Legacy tutorials
Getting Data for Individual Objects
- Get an image of a specific object
- Get a spectrum of a specific object
- Find out if SDSS's imaging data for an object are reliable
- Create a telescope finding chart
Searching for Data
- Find all objects in a given RA/Dec/Magnitude range
- Find images and spectra for all objects in a given RA/Dec/Magnitude range
- Find SDSS supernovae
- Upload my own data and find matching SDSS data
- Get a random subset of the data
- Find closely paired objects
- Get spectra based on color constraints
- Get redshifts for all spectra in bulk